Purple cabbage offers many nutrients including anthocyanins, which promote a healthy heart, while sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene for healthy vision!
Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time: 14 minutes Cook Time: 16 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
2 TBSP toasted sesame oil, divided
1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
1 medium red onion
½ lb boneless chicken breast
1 TBSP peeled fresh ginger, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups red cabbage (about 1/4 medium head)
2 celery stalks
~5 TBSP The Functional Nutrition Brand Sesame Ginger Lime Dressing
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop sweet potato into ⅓ inch thick rounds and then chop each round into ⅓ inch wide strips. Chop onion into ⅓ inch thick slices. Peel and mince both the garlic and ginger. Chop red cabbage into very thin slices. Chop celery into very thin slices. Chop chicken into ¼ inch wide strips.
- Heat 1 TBSP toasted sesame oil in a large frypan (or wok) over medium-high heat.
- Add the sweet potatoes and onion. Stir-fry until the sweet potatoes are just tender, about 12 minutes, turning down heat if browning too quickly. Add water by tablespoonfuls if mixture gets too dry or begins to burn.
- Add the remaining 1 TBSP of oil to the frypan. Add the chicken, ginger, garlic, and celery and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through and the cabbage is wilted, but still slightly crunchy. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the Sesame Ginger Lime Dressing. Season salt and pepper, to taste.