Wild boar is a healthier, more sustainable way to eat pig! If you ever wanted to try wild game, this is a fun way to start!
Yield: About 20 meatballs
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
2 lbs ground wild boar, or ground meat of choice
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
½ cup + 2 TBSP water
1 TBSP avocado oil (or olive oil)
1/4 of a purple onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp ancient sea salt (Redmond Real or Pink Himalayan)
½ tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp dried thyme
1 TBSP coconut flour
Optional: ½ tsp red chili flakes (adds quite a bit of spice!)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Prepare your flax eggs: In a small bowl combine the flaxseed meal and water. Use a fork to combine. Let sit for about 5 minutes to let “egg” form. Alternatively, you can use 2 eggs.
3) Heat fry-pan to medium/medium-low. Add oil. Finely chop onion and garlic and add the onion to the pan. Cook about 3 mins, then add the garlic and cook until the onion is tender, about another 2 mins. Remove from heat.
4) In a large bowl, mix the meat, onion & garlic, flax eggs, and the rest of the ingredients: salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, coconut flour, and optional red chili flakes. It’s usually helpful to use your hands to mix the ingredients.
5) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use olive oil to grease the pan). Use a ¼ measuring cup to measure the mixture and form the meat into balls by rolling it between your palms.
6) Bake for about 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160° F. Cut into the center of a meatball to check for doneness. There may be a slight pink in the meatball at 25 minutes. In that case, put back in the oven for about an additional 5 minutes.