BBQ sauce is usually filled with tons of sugar! This recipe is very lightly sweetened with honey!
1/4 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp olive oil (or avocado oil)
1 cup tomato sauce (with nothing else added)
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp coconut aminos
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
~3 TBSPs water
- Measure all spices into a small bowl.
- Heat small saucepan to medium low.
- Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
- Add oil to saucepan along with the onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 mins. Make sure to stir frequently as the garlic can easily burn.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and all remaining ingredients, stirring frequently.
- Heat for about 5-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat, add about 3 TBSPs water to thin out the texture of the sauce, more if desired.